Wednesday 29 October 2014

Lepidoptera

Yesterday we searched for butterflies (in books and online, not in real life!), chose 1 each, and drew them. It was a nice little lesson in symmetry, not Mantle of the Expert, and would have been more scientific if the internet had worked today! How do we know what size these butterflies are? How can we find out their scientific names? What is the difference between male and female? Can this one even be found in New Zealand? We ended up painting them in watercolour after guessing sizes, and hoped for the best. The internet worked between about 12 and 12.30 so we managed to find out names, but they'd already painted their butterflies. And we had to go on Howjsay to find out how to pronounce lepidoptera. It is pronounced just like how it is spelled. Butterflies were cut out and arranged on a big piece of card. I quickly painted on a frame and we stuck the butterflies down with some spongy double sided tape I had in my box of stuff (one of the few useful things I actually have with me that was not packed in the container!) and hey presto, a butterfly collection!

Liam and Ellie with our finished collection

Quite a range of different sizes! But it looks pretty nice. Shame we have no wall space to display it!
And before I go... I haven't done a hook! I can't believe that in my eagerness to begin something new,  I forgot. I intended to continue last terms plan, but when I decided to change it completely, I got all motivated and excited and didn't think it through. So, no hook. I'm going to have to backtrack! Perhaps I can use our butterfly collection as a hook. Now I'm not thinking about reports, I'm thinking about how to make this work! No, I'm going to do reports. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment