Tuesday 1 March 2016

10 x 5 and Empathy

A really quick update, I had release today and intended to do this during the day, but by the time I finished running records, basic facts testing and sorting out goal sheets for parent/teacher interviews, the day got away on me. But I am getting on top of things finally! I hope!
I have to share this though. My little 10 x 5 group, (Alicia, Will, Kahla and TeKyllah) started on Monday. We are focusing on subtraction facts, under 20 to start with. On the first day we got together for 5 minutes before lunch as we have swimming straight after. I produced a deck of playing cards and we played some games (yes I did make some up as we went along) subtracting the number I flipped over from 20, from 10, then adding 9, doubling etc. We played snap to 10, if both sides add up to 10 then it's SNAP, adding was easier than subtracting, but they still found it a challenge. Counting up cards and pairs of cards at the end gave us winners. Tuesday we met straight after lunch, and the class were silent reading while we played. They were pretty good (the class), I was surprised, maybe because I asked them to have empathy for the kids who were working with me! Today, as I was on release, I had not given it another thought. They sent Jill, my reliever, down to let me know they were all ready to come and see me! So I did, and they just loved it! I know it's not one on one, and I really assumed that one on one would be better, but with a little group of 4 there is the chance to compete, and as they are all at similar levels, they all have the chance to be successful. I think it is going to work well. They are just so keen :)

And here are some photos of our EMPATHY wall so far...
Shoes, I have some talented kids in my class! I just wanted to do a thing about putting yourself in someone else's shoes. And the chance to do some sketching just happened!

Using wordle with the words Room 7 believe relate to 'empathy'

Wow, Leni!

And Wow, Finn!

Illustrating Empathy

It's a pretty nice wall with the black background! The class chose purple for the backing paper, I'm not so sure about purple...

No comments:

Post a Comment