Saturday 18 June 2016

Peer Observation

This was carried out a while ago, the 18th May. I never thought to copy it to my blog at the time, but here it is.
Observation notes from observation by Pam...

Kelly, first of all, thank you for allowing me to observe you in your wonderful learning environment.
These are the points I noted, while observing you working with Tekyllah and Kahla on 5 by 10. Or is it 10 by 5? I haven’t clarified this yet!
The focus for today was on subtraction facts and doubles.

  • The two girls were totally engaged through out the whole session.
  • You were using lots of relevant maths language.
  • Clear instructions.
  •  Wait time given.
  • The girls were verbalising the maths they were doing.
  • Lots of encouragement.
  • You had a variety of quick, fun, maths games, that linked to the skills the girls were working on.

I will certainly be making the doubles game up for Xion, and will get to you the subtraction games that I have found successful.  I also agree with you that you need to pick the group carefully with this strategy, as some children don’t get a chance to answer as they process their thinking slower than some others.
Thanks again, Kelly.

I found Pam's feedback/feedforward really helpful. It's nice to just be able to discuss what you're doing and why with someone else, and to get ideas of where to next. Pam has great ideas and I appreciate her sharing them with me.
I keep changing and modifying the tasks, games, groups and individuals I work with for 10 x 5, and use it with Will for spelling as well. I know he gets extra assistance with Shelley and Kaye, but he just gets so excited about his weekly spelling test that we have to have our little daily practise! My class are so considerate when I am working with Will, they just get on with things quietly and let him have his time with me, one on one. Sometimes he follows me around on duty so we can verbally practise those rhyming words. And he will tell you all about his growing brain if you ask him about it!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Kelly. I love the way you are providing for William!

    ReplyDelete