Monday 4 July 2016

Sticky Notes & Circles


As you can see from the photos below, there was a lot of team problem solving, measurement and planning going on! Sticky notes were 75mm so they had to pick their window, then measure it, then make sure the design would fit. After numerous changes to original ideas, each team came up with a design. They then had to figure out how many they needed of each colour because I told them they could only come up and get what they needed once, mean eh?!








These are the completed designs, the owl one is mine so that doesn't count, I just wanted to have a little play! I emailed my daughter the photos so that she could choose the winner, she chose the pencil drawing a rainbow. The team deserved to win, they worked splendidly together!



This was an idea that I adapted from something I saw on Pinterest, so much fun using the protractor and compasses. Yes I did buy more,  now I've got one between 2, which is better than 6 compasses shared between 25 kids!


I am not going to explain this, it just shows that children like William and Riley are so very capable, and although not perfectly accurate, they did do this independently! No help at all from me or anyone else! So proud!





5 comments:

  1. The Sticky notes pictures looked fantastic. Lots of practical maths activities involved in creating them. Love reading your blog, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora
    Great evidence - and as Pam has commented such rich mathematics occuring. It would be great for the children to reflect on the learning that has resulted from this activity - the mathematics, the design, the art, the key competencies.
    Kau mau te wehi
    Kia ora
    Nga mihi nui
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a brilliant activity. You always blow me away with your creativity...what great maths eyes you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well helloooooo....love your spiral photo pics! How were the protractors used in that activity...I always forget how to use protractors & it would be awesome if a couple of your kids could come and show me. Great authentic audience and see the skills they've learned in action!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hellooooo! Protractors are just the best fun ever! I have a little stash now because Pam lent me some and now I have a wee collection! In the spiral circle pictures they used the protractor to rotate each circle 10 degrees. I am not sure how accurate they were, but they do know that the 3 angles of any triangle add up to 180 degrees which is just fascinating. I will send some children up to show you!

    ReplyDelete