Wednesday 28 March 2018

Writing Expectations

We've all been asked to come up with some ideas of what we expect our children to have (as far as writing is concerned) when they enter our year levels. I've been thinking about this for days!
I guess a bullet point list would be best, and I can elaborate on some points as I go. By the time they reach Year 5...
  • Use capital letters correctly! This is something that really frustrates me. Even when I focus on it during writing, some children still produce work with either random capital letters throughout their work, or no capital letters where they should be. One of the very worst ones is "I" written as lower case. These are usually the children who write names starting with lower case letters. They should know this! Sentences, proper nouns, place names, titles, days of the week etc and the start of each sentence. I still teach handwriting because it's never too late to change some funny habits like forming letters incorrectly and not knowing the difference between capital and lower case letters. The children love practising linking and I show them how, so they are aware of what the letters look like. Just yesterday I had a child produce a poem, great content, but every letter b throughout their writing was a capital B! 
  • Apostrophes! They are used to replace missing letters in contractions e.g. do not - don't, you are - you're, and to show possession or ownership e.g. Mildred's cat. They are not used to show plurals! I had a whole group of children who used apostrophes every single time they used plurals, so I actually went through and circled them all, which looked ridiculous because I try to keep my pen out of their books as much as possible, but this was just too much. 
  • Quotation marks, they go around the words that were actually said. This is pretty easy to explain and the children usually get it pretty quickly if they don't already have this knowledge. I like them to know this because they often use dialogue in their recount writing.
  • Paragraphs. I'm not even going to go in to this one, I know it is taught, and I focus on it too, and I just do not know why after using paragraphs consistently in their books they will go away and independently write a whole page with absolutely no paragraphs at all!
  • Spelling, at least Essential Word list words!
  • Other types of punctuation, including commas and full stops of course!
  • Proof reading and editing skills. I have a proof reading pencil (a cute pencil with a face and a checklist of basic proof reading criteria) which is displayed on the wall and a copy goes in their draft writing books. We still draft and publish and my reasons are these. Our writing sessions are always relatively quick. We use a lot of poetry to focus on deeper writing features, which is short and achievable within a set timeframe. The children remember features such as alliteration, similes, metaphor, personification, adverbs etc from the poems they have produced. Published writing goes on the wall! And the children read it. Their own and each others. If it's just in their books, no one else gets to read and enjoy some of the beautiful writing they have produced. They are excited and enthusiastic about writing! The other day my class went, "yay!" when I told them it was time for writing!
  • Understand different genre of writing and purpose.
I think that's about it. It's all surface features, the content is usually pretty good, they have great ideas and their oral language skills are awesome, so they can construct perfectly wonderful writing, providing they can use those surface features correctly.
Before I go, we do plenty of other writing as well! Procedural text, letters, factual reports, explanations, persuasive text etc. are all included within our Mantle throughout the year. Poetry is just a really nice way to focus on one thing at a time and it seems that the children retain the knowledge of what we have focused on! Rhyming words- the Ice Cream poems! Alliteration - In the Land of ... poems! Adverbs - I Wish poems. Metaphor - Dandelion poems! We have already produced a whole bunch of poetry and they refer to the poem titles when discussing these features.
I still use Must Do, Should Do, Could Do. This works so well, and I very rarely have anyone produce the bare minimum of Must Do.

No comments:

Post a Comment