Friday 20 June 2014

Construction

This week was pretty full on busy, we spent most of the week constructing our books. Yes, constructing! What a mission. Even though we had already practised sewing earlier in the term, I still had a few children trying to tie the cotton to the needle, and after much dithering, we decided it best if I work with each group separately to put the books together. Not one on one, but it sure felt like it. Covers had to be perfect size, and then we had issues with the binding strips we had made, some of them covered the titles or blurbs on the back, and had to be cut down. Each signature (only two pieces of paper, but back to back it was eight pages) was sewn after careful measuring and collating, and each book consisted of two signatures. These were then glued into the covers using Elmers Glue, which I had never used before but it was actually pretty good glue. The last book was put together on Friday morning, just in time for assembly, which was nice because they got to show them, and all the little juniors went, "ooooh."
We put together the set of books with identical covers, created with a collage of their calendar artwork, ready to send to Camellia for our Taking Action Project. They are all ready to post on Monday.
As far as our tension, it seems to have escaped the team's memory. No one has mentioned the fact that our premises should have been demolished due to the infestation of mutant ink moths!
I will have to write back from Dr Chris Arliss from the PDSIR and give them some more time, because I have a plan in my head about where this might go next term, and I guess if I really want it to go the way I hope, then I am going to have to make it believable!
Also, before I finish writing and put some pictures on this post, Leslee did use the video we filmed for my appraisal and her comments were so nice I almost felt like sharing them, but I wont because my name is at the top of the page (not Mildred!). Thank you, Leslee, you are such a supportive Principal, and you always make us teachers feel good about what we do, and appreciated!
Morgan figures out which text goes with which illustration.

Rylee and Jessica measure, cut and fold some card for binding the books.


The construction process!

Lucas measures and puts holes in a signature, ready to be sewn.

Rylee and Jessica sewing their books.

Brock threads a needle

Rylee helps another group

Proud authors!





Inside the completed books



I wish I could put every page on, they are so cute!
The whole set! These are the ones we are sending to Camellia, she is real, Gianni Amarmy is not!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely mention Kelly, you make my job an easy one! Love the books!

    ReplyDelete