Thursday 21 August 2014

Mantle and Other Stuff

I can't wait until Monday. Cupcake Day for the S.P.C.A. We have supported this day every year for the last few years and the class have been making decorations for their cupcakes today. We will have over 200 cupcakes to sell. It is always a success, it is so much fun and is a very worthy cause!
Last night was the Bernina Fashion Awards night, so we were all a little tired today. It is a late night for the children, but yay, the masks they made - which took many lunchtimes to complete - looked awesome on stage and I am so proud of them! And the prizes they received were worth all the hard work, plus the winners remembered to buy me chocolates :)
I feel as though we have had so many other things to do as well as Mantle, but this week we decided to do something for another class. Well actually I decided we would do something for another class. It was a last minute decision to help get Room 9 into their Paua investigation for their Mantle.
I wrote a note as an urgent phone message from Mr Newsworthy, dropped it in a puddle (lucky it was raining) and made it a bit disintegrated. Then I took it into the room, and as Mildred I told them I was sorry for being so clumsy and what were we to do?
They managed to put it back together, and found the missing bit I had "accidentally" placed on my desk. And then they called Mr Newsworthy on the cup phone. Yes, I made a cup phone with string and we talked across the classroom, and Mr Newsworthy asked if they could possibly get out to cover a breaking news story since we were film makers. An oil spill had occurred at Imaginary Bay, and the shellfish were dying. All the other camera crew and reporters were out on assignment. Fairytale Films accepted the job and off they went.
They scribbled out a script for the reporters, decided on who they were going to be in the news report, and we did one take of each segment, so what was recorded was their first attempt. We used imovie, garageband and hyperstudio, filmed with a flip camera, and managed to put it all together in 2 hours.
It is not perfect, but it was good to let them try out some of the programmes I want them to learn how to use. The only issue was that there were quite a few kids out at writing extension group, so they missed out. But at least now some of the others can show them what they have learnt so that is a good thing. I hope Room 9 enjoy it, and I hope it helps. They can call the 0800 number on the cup phone. It actually works quite well!

1 comment:

  1. So cool, this was a fantastic idea to link in with room 9 ...love the cup phone!

    ReplyDelete