Monday 30 March 2015

Talk Moves

I haven't put on any more games, sorry! But I am just quickly updating this because I tried the talk moves today. And I have them displayed so that I can see them, and remember to use them.
We have done some open ended problem solving just to get used to our groups, and so today I tried out a very similar problem to the one we did as a staff. It was very interesting. Even though we had practised the strategy I thought they would use (adding to each side of the subtraction problem to make tidy numbers) not one child remembered it, or used it. And we had a variety of answers, many of which were wrong. The children really enjoyed using the question cards Pam gave me to prompt questioning, and there was some fabulous discussion happening in my class.
In the end, I reminded a child about the strategy (he was using an algorithm to solve the problem as that's what his mum uses, and he admitted that he would have used tidy numbers as a first option but wanted to try a different way) and he happily explained this strategy to the class. Then we tried the ice block stick name thing and that worked well too. I will just put on a few photos as I am distracted by staff meeting! And I will put some more games on soon too!
The Question was 73 - 38...


Standard algorithms produced the correct answer, and the other child separated tens and ones, and got a different answer.

This group enjoyed the discussion, but all came up with the wrong answers!

Even the beans didn't help these two, although it did help me to see where they are going wrong, and what they are thinking.

73 beans...

Jack explains, I even revoiced, and then used the sticks to choose a child to repeat!
And now I have missed an important piece of info at staff meeting and I have to share and I haven't been listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment