Wednesday 20 April 2016

Digital Tech

It is the holidays and I kind of wish I was still at school! The last week at school was exciting for me, I bought the full version of Tellagami, and Sock Puppets. And then I got the Aurasma app, oh my gosh, the best thing ever, too much fun and I have already decided how I will use it effectively with maths... my brain won't let me sleep at night as I keep coming up with ideas. Thank goodness for Google Keep, I can note my ideas quickly. I've even taken photos of text I want to remember (currently reading Jo Boaler's Mathematical Mindsets, absolutely brilliant, will do a separate post about that as soon as I've finished the book!) and my notes on Google Keep are prolific.
Aurasma is amazing, even more so once I figured out how to let others see. After practising with grandson's calendar art and insisting my daughter download the app immediately so she could see my video message, I discovered you have to follow to be able to see it. Good to know. Now I have about 10 messages linked to Logan's 2016 calendar! 
But then I wanted to figure out how the 4D thing works, and wondered if I could create my own. I found an app called Augment. It is super incredible. Truly an amazing thing that I need to play with a bit more so that I can actually use it in the classroom, rather than just going, "wow, that's amazing!" I am not sure how to make my own 3D models to put on it, although there are already educational ones on there. I got another app called Sculpt and had a go at making a 3D model, it's like working with digital clay I guess. Lots of fun to play with but I don't know how to put it on Augment... yet! (I have tried a couple of things, unsuccessfully so far, but mistakes grow my brain so it's all good!)
Speaking of growing brains, I did get Class Dojo as well, and the little videos are really great for promoting growth mindset - thank you Leslee! I'm still hyped up about growth mindsets, and the Jo Boaler book is making me think about it even more.
The video was a rush job, we made it really quickly on the last day of school because I was too excited and wanted to try out Aurasma before the holidays. Sometimes I think I get more excited about these things than the children do! I suppose in this day and age they are exposed to so much more, have so much more and technology is so much more advanced. I zipped down to Auckland at 4am on Tuesday to look after the younger grandson who was too sick to go to daycare, and even he, at the age of 14 months, plays with the ipad and apps on the phone, and is rather fascinated with the xbox controller, when he can get his hands on it. Logan is 3, and he is very clued up with technology. Only geeks went to computer class when I went to school, I preferred to spend my time either in the art room or smoking behind the bike shed, listening to Motorhead or Iron Maiden... on tape! How times have changed. I really love technology. And I still love art, and I still love Motorhead (R.I.P Lemmy) and Iron Maiden, and e cigs are way better than smoking!

1 comment:

  1. Super exciting! I'm glad you liked DOJO it is super cool and fits so well with everything we are doing!

    ReplyDelete