Monday 9 May 2016

A Bullet Point List!

So here it is, a list of what I am doing to accelerate learners in Room 7. It's late, but I have to do things immediately that I know they need doing, or else everything will get to be too much. You know how it is, and if I procrastinate I might get like overwhelmed, or something!
  • Growth Mindset - obviously my top of the list, number one "thing" because it is so brilliant and I have already made drastic changes in the classroom. Changes include Maths (my whole programme has changed), homework, the language we use, my expectations... the list goes on!
  • Class Dojo - is being used to promote growth mindset and the children love the little monsters, points rewards and the videos which have helped to explain how the brain works.
  • Mixed Groups - for everything now! And the groups change from day to day. It's working really well, everyone is working with everyone else, and learning with and from each other. 
  • Apps - I can't just focus on one, I have a whole bunch (funny word, bunch, rhymes with lunch) that I absolutely love, and the class are loving too. Most of them I have mentioned in previous posts, but a couple more that I am really liking are Book Creator (I bought the full version - so worth it), Photo Lab (great fun to use and am getting inspired for some art with it), Daily Monster (fun for the kids and can get creative with it), 123D Sculpt and Creatures (mentioned earlier and getting the hang of creating and using 3D), Pottery (since we can't afford a kiln and all, this app is pretty ok in the meantime!), Number Rack (like an abacus for maths), Think 3D Free (connecting cubes, tetrahedra and octahedra), Numberkiz (similar to Show Me, but a bit fancier, both are cool but you have to sign in and save stuff online - which I wish you didn't have to), Reading Eggs Spelling (awesome for all levels in our class),  and Sock Puppets (the children love presenting their ideas with this), Augment (AMAZING 3D stuff - you just have to check it out, possibilities for using in class are endless). That was more than a couple! Sorry!
  • Aurasma (special mention app) - is just so cool, we've been going round in circles putting little videos (including sock puppets and tellagami explaining maths strategies) onto our displayed maths problems, and as we get deeper into our Mantle of the Expert this term, we will so be using Aurasma with that as well. Also the hologram maker app because it's a super presentation tool, and we like it.
  • 10 x 5  - I will try again with a different curriculum area, and perhaps try what others are doing, using it with the whole class. Last time I saw progress from 1 child out of the 5 I worked with. This time I reckon I can do better! 
I know I should probably just choose one or two things and focus on doing them really well, but there are just so many new things to try and I want to try them ALL! 

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic list...I love the fact that mixed grouping is working for you!

    ReplyDelete