Friday 16 May 2014

Not Taking Over

Another week has flown by and I am freaking out a little tinsy bit, I really hope to get these books finished by the end of term. In my head, Room 7 produce a most amazing book, printed, published, gorgeous illustrations, beautifully bound, with a brilliant storyline. In real life Room 7, we now have about 6 books being written, with some strange ideas, illustrations far from what I know they are capable of producing, and one group so intent on making their text rhyme, that the story has changed to fit the poem.
On a more positive note, the children are still very enthusiastic authors and illustrators!
I just wish I could figure out a way to make them see that if they worked together and used the strengths of individuals within the groups, they would be able to achieve something awesome. Right now it's kind of like, yeah, that'll do, but I want it to be more than just 'that'll do' and I know that each group is made up of talented artists, writers, problem solvers and ICT people. Some leadership skills are emerging, with a couple of children delegating jobs within the group, and their books are starting to come together. I hope they all work it out soon! It's frustrating.
I promised myself I wouldn't intervene too much, but I think I'll have to meet with a couple of groups and offer some feedforward that is constructive, without trying to take over. That is my biggest worry, that I'll take over and then it will be my ideas and not those of the children.
I almost did that with the 'rhyming' group, trying to show them how to stick to the story but turn it into a verse. I had used a story with a tragic ending that I'd made up as I went,
 to show them how to create a storyboard. I ended up writing my whole story in verse. Maybe I shall publish mine too :)
We had a visit from Camellia from EMR. She came to see where we were at with our project (out of role) and to congratulate Jessica on winning the Poor Knights snorkeling trip. Jessica didn't know she had won until after the class had presented all of their learning (about marine reserves etc) to Camellia, and when we told her she was so happy she nearly cried. Mrs T and I were so happy we had chosen her, she truly did deserve it.
Next week I am going to show the children this super duper app I have had on the ipad for ages called Sketches. I muck around with it sometimes but the kids don't seem to use it as much as Temple Run and Minion Rush, funny that!  Anyway, they have been using the watercolour paints to create backgrounds for illustrations, I know - watercolour! of all things!
But Sketches have all the watercolour brushes, crayons and pens in one nifty app that is easy to use. I created a couple of images suitable for my book, and then last night I figured out how to email it to my computer so I can print it! I didn't have my email set up on the ipad so I had to do that as well. But I am really excited about this, and can't wait to show the class on Monday, we could illustrate our books with it, and that would be pretty cool!

One team present their 'story so far' to the rest of the company.
Camellia congratulates Jessica

Jessica with her prize info. Look at how happy she is!


1 comment:

  1. I hear your dilemma...maybe you come in in role as someone that could offer them advice? Or in role as someone that could do some team building with them? :)

    ReplyDelete