Wednesday 21 May 2014

Theft of Intellectual Property

Yesterday I went over the Drama Contract again, just to remind them all of our agreement. Then we went into role and began with a staff meeting in the Security Room (yes, that is where they chose to meet) and as we chatted about our progress with the book writing, I looked over to the open laptop and exclaimed, "oh wow, look everyone, an email has just popped up on that laptop over there," to which everyone swivelled their heads to see a printed off fake email blu tacked to the screen.
Another email had arrived from Gianni Amarmy, (Jessica worked out the anagram - Imaginary Man) stating that he would be forced to terminate the contract if we did not get the manuscript into the post by close of business today.
That got them moving!
Frantic word processing (they knew it was only the text that was required) and a bit of a check and they were all ready to go by the end of the day. Finally.
But when it came time to read out their manuscripts, a tension arose. I had been given one groups manuscript to check over, so I copied it and changed the main character from Kylie to Rylie with the twink and a vivid. Then I secretly gave it to another group and asked them to try passing it off as their own work. It went better than I expected. The looks on the faces of the people who originally wrote the text was classic! I was taking photos and trying not to smile. The funny thing was that although the group knew it was theirs, they didn't interrupt or say anything until I asked if something was wrong.
This resulted in a huge discussion about copyright, plagiarism and protecting our work, and how we could prove anything. The company decided that they would fine the group $10 in the end, makes me wonder if they have any concept of value of money, and then we put it behind us. I didn't want it to be an ongoing thing. Interestingly, during discussion afterwards, they asked if this kind of thing happened in real life.
The fake email that popped up. Looks pretty realistic in the photo!

Concerned colleagues, they know they have to get to work!

Watercolours! These illustrations are looking good though!

This group are well under way with their book.

Still typing up a manuscript. And finding rhyming words!


The stolen manuscript. Izzy's face is horrified!

The group look at each other in disbelief. Morgan isn't in this group, but she knows something isn't right.

Still not saying anything, but not quite believing this...

It's word for word, exactly the same as ours!

Izzy gives them a "look"

The accused stand their ground

Confrontation

It's pretty obvious which group own the manuscript, but then again...
I had to put all the photos in so you could see their faces!
Before I go, I just checked my comments. Thanks for the advice, I will think of a team building activity and try it. Although it seems that when faced with a deadline they can work together better. And why does team building make me think of sporty things? I'll try to keep an open mind :)

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for a tension, love the expression on their faces. Ha ha, team building with a deadline, now that would really work for them!

    ReplyDelete