Wednesday 17 August 2016

More Circles!

This was a maths problem solving activity I found on nrich maths. I was trying to pretend that I was a little interested in the Olympics by doing something with a sports theme!
This activity involved circles! So out came the compasses again. It was great to see the children working so well together, they were really into what they were doing. And I pretty much stayed right out of it, let them figure everything out on their own. Initially, groups were trying to draw circles in their maths books with diameters of up to 22 cm. Then they figured out that they would need larger sheets, which meant raiding the scrap paper box... I am actually pretty impressed that they remembered the things they had discovered about circles from previous tasks.



 The link to the activity we used is here Sports Equipment
 Anyway, I have decided to create a Blipp about circles, because they just keep popping up everywhere! Literally! Put your Maths Eyes on... :)

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I have read that the deeper the emotional connection people have with the activity the deeper their learning...so I am guessing the more interested they are in the activity the deeper the emotional connection and therefore the deeper the learning. They must love the maths they have been doing. I think this is why Mantle is so effective, because of the emotional attachment they form with the company and commission. Awesome maths Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm definitely sure that the more opportunities chn have to revisit similar themes in learning, the more they learn and the deeper/wider it goes!Being able to revisit tasks with similar themes allow chn to build on prior learning, use 'mistakes' from the last learning to improve results and allows all chn to be more confident if they are familiar with core aspects of the learning! Rm 7 are lucky little artists!

    ReplyDelete