Friday 2 September 2016

Figure it Out

I attended another maths PD on Thursday, and while there we were given a task from a Figure it Out book, and I suddenly thought to myself, I've not even used one of those books this year! How bad is that? I used to always use Figure it Out, and I always had a bunch of different books at different levels on the classroom maths shelf for the children to use independently as well... how did I forget to use them? Maybe because there is so much online stuff, and you can instantly find and access resources and problems, and make stuff up that suits what you're doing in maths, that you forget about the resources you already have in the school.
Naughty me.
I will be gathering a little supply on Monday, for sure!
Another thing that I took away from this maths session was e-ako maths, which I think might be a worthwhile thing. I've not checked it all out properly yet, but I did create a class and I have registered my students. They now have their own usernames and passwords, so on Monday we shall try it out. I hope it is useful. I feel as though I have a zillion different usernames and passwords myself, and I struggle to remember who I am sometimes! Not really :) But the children already have Sumdog accounts, and KiVa usernames and passwords, and I am forever having to locate lost passwords for them, even though they've been told to glue this info into their notebooks. Oh well.
From what I saw of e-ako maths (yes I did log on as a student - with her permission of course) it looks relevant and is something that they can do independently. I like how you can have the speaker on and listen to the question as well. Makes it easier for children who are struggling with reading. But from what I saw, and this is only a little teeny tiny bit, it doesn't look super exciting. That sounds awful, I know, but if I were a child I would want it to be more exciting to look at. Maybe that's just me. I guess I shall wait and see what the children think of it.
And before I go... we have been working on our "Circle" Blipp. Jorgiah used Hyperstudio for the first time and loved it. Her job was to create a clip that showed the parts of a circle. It's only short but I'm putting it on here anyway, because I reckon she did really well.

                                   



And I still wonder why the word segment is often used when referring to a sector. Cheese sector! Sounds funny though. Even on a scratch ticket (and I rarely buy them, I just happened to get one recently) it had a wheel, and the instructions said you had to match numbers on the wheel "segments" which were actually sectors.


1 comment:

  1. Good learning on circles!! I did not know they were so complex. Also the Figure it out books - it is good to get reminders about what we used to do. I'm sure the children will get a lot out of them.

    ReplyDelete