Saturday 17 September 2016

Speech to Text and Fractions




Just a very quick update, and I am not sure how well this will work out, but after numerous attempts with various speech to text apps for William, I stumbled upon a free app for the ipad called Dragon Dictation. It actually seems really very good, and picks up speech relatively well compared to the ones I have tried so far. William does tend to make a little hum sound at the end of everything that he says, and speaks very quickly, so I need to find a way to discourage this without hurting his feelings, when he uses speech to text.
If successful, I shall make a copy of his next piece of "writing" and post it on the blog, and I really hope it works! I know that the rest of the class will love using it :)

The other app I found is Virtual Manipulatives, and I love it! It allows the children to move parts of a whole (fractions of circles or bars) in order to compare, add together, or put into size order. It's super easy to use and includes fractions, decimals and percentages. And you can switch between them. It is a very useful app, especially for people who like visual representations for things - like me!

3 comments:

  1. I would be interested in knowing how the Dragon Dictation app worked out for Will. I have a couple of boys who try to use voice typing on Google Docs but if they don't speak clearly they get mumbo jumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh another great app to look into for fractions...I definitely have a few boys that could benefit from a visual aide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looked so cool and a great visual tool to help children with these concepts.

    ReplyDelete